We live in a multi-CAD world, and so we built Onshape to work seamlessly with other CAD software systems, starting with familiar modeling paradigms and kernel compatibility.
Customers using Onshape side-by-side with other CAD systems can do so in the following ways:
- Use Onshape for some projects, and your other CAD system for others.
- Use Onshape for parts or subassemblies of a larger project designed in your other CAD system.
- Use Onshape to collaborate with customers/suppliers on a project designed in your other CAD system.
- Use Onshape to manage projects that include native CAD data from your other CAD system.
Let’s take a look at each scenario.
Using Onshape for some projects, and your other CAD system for others
Some of your specialized projects may require capabilities that are still under development in Onshape. In the meantime, you can enjoy the secure, accessible, and affordable alternative that Onshape offers while using your existing system alongside it. With Onshape, you get:
- A full suite of professional 3D CAD software, accessible on any device.
- The user interactions, concepts, keystrokes, and workflows you expect.
- Full data compatibility with most major 3D CAD software systems.
Using Onshape for parts or subassemblies of a larger project designed in your other CAD system
You can import and export data to and from Onshape at will, as well as save files in vendor-neutral formats. That means you can build parts or subassemblies in Onshape, and carry them wherever you need them to be. You can:
- Work side-by-side on the same projects in multiple CAD systems.
- Enjoy seamless file exchange with suppliers and vendors.
- Collaborate on any device with anyone on your wider project team.
Collaborating with customers and suppliers on other CAD systems
Onshape is an ideal way to reach out to your customers, suppliers, and collaborators for brainstorming sessions and design reviews – regardless of the CAD system they use. Full, fluid compatibility with most major CAD systems means Onshape is a perfect platform for collaboration with your extended project team. You can:
- Bring together design elements from multiple CAD systems.
- Invite and share designs with anyone.
- Enjoy free sharing and access, on any device.
- Collaborate simultaneously – or separately, using branched editing.
Managing projects with native CAD data from other systems
Data management is hard enough for native CAD data in most systems – let alone managing multiple CAD formats. Onshape is built to read and store any data type you’re using for your project, as well as to let you access all the files and documentation you need. With Onshape:
- Revision management is built right in.
- You can revision-manage any Onshape Document using more than one type of embedded data from any source in its native format.
- You can export the original binary format for any data you’ve uploaded into Onshape at any time – or translate it into a wide variety of formats.
For projects already in progress, using Onshape alongside your existing CAD system yields huge benefits. Its ability to accelerate collaboration, simplify version control, and work with virtually all data types will increase your team’s efficiency and give you the flexibility to access your design data anywhere on any device.
Onshape also empowers you to economically scale up your team for short periods – such as hiring contractors or interns – without having to commit to expensive long-term licenses. Plus, Onshape data is kernel compatible with SolidWorks and other major vendors.
Furthermore, if your team has multiple CAD users time-sharing seats of traditional CAD, you can finally stop playing musical chairs. Your design team can use Onshape and its current CAD system in parallel – meaning you’ll be spending less time waiting and more time designing awesome products!